Monday, September 29, 2008

Quantity versus Quality

To those who might be able to read my blog, please note that in this article I just would like to express my opinion. You are free to agree or disagree with me, the choice is yours.
Actually, this is quite a sensitive issue that I would like to comment on. That's why I started with lines telling you that these are merely my opinion.
In a family, who do you think will probably have successful children - those who only have two or those who have ten? I know your answer would be the former. Obviously, those parents who have few children have a great chance of sending their children to better if not the best schools.
Well, I am saying that public schools are not good compared to private schools. Take note, I am a product of public schools from elementary to my tertiary education.
Department of Education has a program which leads to mass promotion. Of course, it is not bluntly stated but it is obvious. Why? Supervisors (although not all) would ask or even reprimand teachers who give failing grades to many students.
With respect to individual differences, we know that not all students have the same performance. It is totally easy for these higher authorities to say that students having failing grades are all because of teacher factor. In a way, they may be right but it is not applicable to all situations.
Before I have worked with DepEd, I was privileged to work at my Alma Mater. I was assigned to teach at the Integrated Laboratory School (ILS) of Leyte Normal University. The maximum number of students are 40. Each year level has only one section.
Why are the students of LNU-ILS intelligent?
1. Their parents provide their children's needs (food, clothing, etc.)
2. They have tutors.
3. They are enrolled in a school with complete facilities.
4. There are only a few of them inside the classroom.
5. Their teachers are closely supervised.
There are still many factors but these are the top 5 reasons I believe which have fostered the students' intelligence.
Looking at the reasons enumerated above, are all of the students' intelligence associated with teacher factor only?
Observe the sand. That is one element in building a house, right? A person may order tons of sand but are all these used? Isn't it that the workers (carpenters) use sieve to separate the coarse and the fine ones?
Same with students. Some say that they have to be promoted even without them learning the basic skills. Is this fair with the student? They reach high school without even the basic comprehension skills? Some teachers would argue that they pity the parents or they are afraid that they will be reprimanded by their superiors if they fail pupils/students.
Don't they pity a child who reach further degree without being equipped of the skills they need? Is the quantity of pupils who were given passing grades the measure of the effectivity of the teacher? Think about these...

3 comments:

Marianne Abe Pasayloon said...

I strongly agree with your opinion te.[we are really sisters because we have similar view points... hehehe]

Marianne Abe Pasayloon said...

We are lucky te because we were sent to school by our parents.. though not in a private one but still they gave us opportunity to study ..and we are also lucky te 'cause we are only 3.

angelo said...

Good day ma'am, I would agree with what you have said about the teachers being blamed because of the students with failing grades. Not for all the situations, teachers are to be blamed 'cause of students with failing grades, it is up to the students to make their grades because as what our teachers usually said "what we get is what we give them". I know I must be one of those students but thank God I wasn't. Have a pleasant day ma'am. God bless.