Thursday, September 18, 2008

Students with problems

There are many students with problems. I prefer to call them that way because I don't believe the phrase "problem students". In one way or another, students who show peculiar attitudes have problems. the peculiarity of their behavior depends on the kind of mask they put on their face so as to forget the problem/s even for a while.
Many times, I told my students that I really adhere to the quotation "Life is what we make it." Our life is defined by every single choice we make each day.
Today, one of the class advisers revealed to me that she has an advisory student who is rumored to be pregnant. Oh! I was really surprised but I suggested that she should clarify the issue. Rumors most of the time are only hearsays. Thus, she called the grandmother and the student. There at the computer room, the student unveiled that she had two months delay of menstruation already. She further confessed that she and a male student made love twice. It was like a roaring thunder to my ears. Why? Because both (male and female) are still very young. The student told us - teachers that she took a medicine to have the fetus aborted. I blantly told her, committing another sin to cover up a sin triples the degree of "sin" she had committed. She cried while saying that she did it because of fear and of shame. This female student is still very young to have such an experience but as I already said she made the choice, right?
This reminds me again of another quotation "A moment of pleasure for a lifetime of pain."

No comments: